just another road

just another road

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Whole30: Day 1

First days tend to be simple and exciting. Today is not that. 

I feel like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I have a headache, my eyes are heavy, and my overall mood is mildy morose.  You know how sometimes you need a vacation from your vacation? Well, I feel that way.  One more day off might have done the trick.  Or maybe not.  Who knows?

This last weekend was a bit of a whirlwind, it involved a wine and cheese tasting at my home, then a weekend away with friends.  Friday night I discovered that we didn't have any hot water at home. Unfortunately, at that point in time the hardware store was closed, and we were leaving first thing in the morning for a trip to a rustic cabin (which had NO running water).  Thankfully, come Monday evening, we were able to boil water for a bath.  Meanwhile, my clever husband repaired the water heater so we had hot showers in the morning.  I am so thankful that we live in circumstances where I never have to go without these amenities - I also feel a bit petty...but that's not what I'm here to discuss today.

The moral of the story is that we were either busy, or I was  'busy' being lazy, and did not plan out my week of meals.  I'm going to try and keep it simple this week, and perhaps get more creative for week 2.


Today, I had:
  • Breakfast - Black coffee and quiche (crust made with zucchini)
  • Snack - Banana
  • Lunch - chicken and salad
  • Dinner - sweet potatoes and steak bananas, nuts, blueberries (long story, NOT a great dinner. Oops)
I should also mention that I do intend to 'cheat' on my Whole30®.  My oldest brother is getting married in a couple weeks and while I will try to choose Whole30 foods, I'm not going to stress about it. (I know, the Whole30 website says there are ways around it, and you shouldn't have to bend the rules for this or that event).  My brother will have home-brew there, so I will limit my beer intake to a couple tastes or 1-2 small pours, and I'll probably skip on the wedding cake.  I will also probably extend my Whole30 by however many days I 'cheat', so if I cheat for rehearsal dinner and wedding day, my 30 days will extend until  October 3rd.

I have also debated adding back quinoa, because quinoa seems to be a 'grain outlier'...but I haven't decided yet. 

I am disappointed with my poor time management which did not allow me time to cook my steak, but overall, I would say Day 1 was successful.  29 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment