just another road

just another road

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Whole30: Helpful or Harmful?

Wow - we made it to day 18. Week two is over, and then only a couple more days until I can start a single digit countdown.

As I mentioned before, I like to read the Whole30® timeline. I find it incredibly helpful to know how this way of eating changes your body - and the side effects to get there.  Day 12 was awful for me.  I was in a crabby mood, I really wanted a beer...like REALLY. It was hard.  I was being pretty moody, and guess who had to deal with it? My dear husband. He is so great.  Sometimes, I get so mad at him because he is so lovable...it's pretty silly.

Anyways, we were in the car heading to an Elysian tap takeover (that's right, I scheduled my Whole30 during Bellingham Beer Week.  Apparently my subconscious really wanted to test my willpower).  I could have stayed home, but Jason needed (and wanted) to be there for work, and I like hanging out with him. So, we are on our way there, and I can't recall how the conversation ended up there, but we started talking about my terrible attitude. Oh boy, you can only imagine me - eye rolling, big sighs, looks that could kill...I told Jason I was ready to quit Whole30, that it was a terrible idea, and dumb, and he preceded to ask me "Why are you doing the Whole30?" Ugh, this made me fume. I got so mad, because he asked what I did not want to hear.  I think my response was pretty childish and snobby, somewhere along the lines of 'It doesn't even matter, I'm quitting anyways'. 

Oh Jason, most of the time he knows just the right amount of tough love that I need. (Jason, if you are reading this, please don't let this go to your head, I need hugs, too!).  He said something, and responded with another snarky remark, but he got me thinking.  He asked again what the purpose was for me spending 30 days eating healthy.  I pulled out my phone, looked up the timeline, and read this:

Days 10-11: The Hardest Days.

Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off. You’ve made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones, but you’ve yet to experience any of the “magic” the program promises. You’re still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you’ve eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you’ve been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you’re “choosing not to eat right now.”  Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can’t” have: the melted cheese on a greasy burger, the creaminess of that double-scoop cone, the cold beer in your best friend’s tailgate cooler. Dammit, this is hard! And right now you’re wondering if the results will really be as good as “they” all say it is.
You’re cranky, you’re impatient, and you’re really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese. 
This is where you really start to experience the psychological hold that your food habits have on you. You’ve put in a lot of effort to get to where you are right now, but you’re still waiting for the results you’re hoping to see. Your  brain tells you that you deserve some kind of reward (don’t you?) and, of course, we’ve been conditioned to think of food as the best reward out there. Right now, you’re craving that ice cream, beer, or whatever treat you think would make for just the right reward. But, instead of that treat, you’re standing face to face with the realization that you have 20 more days of deprivation ahead of you.
The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.
- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.qertFxTS.dpuf
Well, poo. This sounds familiar.  Meanwhile, Jason is still talking to me and I'm ignoring him, which he notices and brings me back to our unpleasant conversation.  I snap at him with 'NO, I'm reading the timeline!' At which point, I can't help but feel my lips start to twitch with a small smile.  Then, I read the timeline to him.  From there, reality hits me and I apologize for my appalling behavior. 

I was thinking about it this morning, and at what point is taking on a challenge like the Whole30 detrimental? I was reading through some of the website, and stumbled on this link The Whole30 Gone Bad. Yes, yes, and yes!  A challenge like this is NOT for everyone.  While the intent is to improve health, it could also be debilitating for someone who already struggles with issues such as eating disorders, or a poor self image.

Something I have been thinking about as I endure this go around, is how this affects me emotionally, and even more importantly, spiritually.  I want to make sure that I don't turn this little challenge (because let's face it, this IS little and quite insignificant in the scope of things) into an idol.  I want to use my time to glorify God, and to be thankful that I have the opportunity to do this....  I live in a place and have resources so I CAN be choosy about food.  But, I have to make sure that I don't lose sight of what really matters, just because I can't eat bread...right now.  I'm hoping that practicing discipline in this area of my life will help me focus better in other areas- such as improving myself as a wife, a friend, a daughter, and sister. 

Perhaps I'm reaching a little too far here, but I'm hoping this self improvement will lead to good things in those other areas of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment