just another road

just another road

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Whole30: Week 1




 

Thank goodness for black coffee.
 

I think that's all I have to say...

....


Just kidding. There is so much to say about this adventure.  Right now, I'm feeling good.  I think having attempted a Whole30 before gives me a better perspective.  Knowing what to expect is the hardest part - I mean, you're just eating healthy, it can't be that hard, right? Actually, it IS hard, and I think the biggest challenge right now, is explaining my choice to other people.  Some are encouraging, and even interested to know how it's going, others tend to taunt you by waving ALL the yummy things you can't eat in your face...or by asking you to hold their beer...which is just plain rude.  

Sweet Potato hash w/egg

Overall, compared to my prior experience, I think I am doing great.  I haven't had much in terms of cravings.  I have been a bit tired physically, but my mind feels clear.  My digestive system feels like it is adjusting, and I'm noticing I need to eat more.  This weekend we stocked up our fridge and actually planned out our meals, so I will be having yummy sweet potatoes for breakfast this week, paleo lasagna for dinner (complete with leftovers for lunch), then Italian herb chicken alfredo (made with coconut milk) and Cajun pork burgers, among other things. 

 
On Saturday Jason and I went for a short run, and I was miserable.  Day 5 = Ø Energy. Sunday evening we did a slightly longer run and then played indoor soccer, and I felt a bit more alive.  The half marathon I'm running is only 3 weeks away, so I'm hoping my physical energy improves quickly!  I developed shin splints back in July, so I took most of August off for running, and finally had no pain while running this weekend (!!!!).  I'm disappointed that I didn't spend the month of August training, but my goal is to complete the half marathon, not collapse halfway through because my shin splits in half.  My only competitor is me, and I'm in it to win it!  Oops, rabbit trail... anyways, I felt slightly better about exercise the last few evenings, and hoping it only gets better from here.
 
There are a couple of folks who have embarked on the Whole30® adventure with me, and it has been encouraging to touch base with them and compare experiences (my loving husband is included in this, but he has decided to allow alcohol).  On Saturday, my dear friend Amanda and I went to a birthday party.  The party consisted of chicken and carne tacos, lots of yummy sides and desserts, tasty beer, and intriguing mixed drinks.  I am proud to say that we made it work! No IPA, no Kettle Chips, no alcohol, no cheese...we did it.  We brought Pico de Gallo and guacamole to share, which we smothered over our plate of meat. It was delicious!  Amanda has a harder time staying hydrated, so she got creative with her H2O by throwing fruit in a jar with her drinking water, which she kept refilling all day.


Seriously, this was an awesome meal:


Plate of Carne Asada smothered in Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
 

As a group, we have noticed our bodies adjusting to this different way of eating. Whether it be headaches, digestive issues, tiredness, or in my case yesterday, disorganized speech and thought (not sure if this was from W30 or just my normal self), our bodies are rebalancing in response to our better food choices.  Don't worry, I'll keep you posted to let you know about the GOOD outcomes of this adventure - we just have to finish the 'cleansing' phase (if you can call it that) first. 

The Whole30 website has this great timeline outlining what to expect from your mind and body during the program. 

Have you ever done a cleanse or some other type of healthy eating challenge? If so, how did it go for you? What helped you succeed?

On to week number two.


No comments:

Post a Comment